Frequently Asked Questions
What primary services do you offer?
We offer intimacy and relationship therapy for couples with the skills of somatic psychotherapy. Also referred to as body-centered psychotherapy, somatic psychotherapy is an umbrella term for many different modalities. The somatic psychotherapeutic methods that we are specialize in are dance/movement therapy and body psychotherapy. These methods engage the whole person in the healing process, empowering clients with effective resources and skills to support integration, transformation, and profound healing. Touch is not a part of our approach, except for consensual, guided, non-sexual touch experientials between members of a couple.
What do you specialize in?
At Embodied Relationships Counseling Center, we specialize in working with adults on:
- Relationship therapy
- Sex therapy
- Desire discrepancy
- Embodied consent practice
- Conflict resolution skills
- Sex & intimacy after having children
- Pre-marital counseling
- Rekindling of emotional and intimate connection
- Monogamous and non-monogamous (polyamory, swinging, etc.) partners and individuals
What does a typical session look like?
Here is a basic structure of a session: In the initial session, we will discuss the reason that you are seeking support. We will then share with you a description of how we work with our clients and how we can support your strengths, preferences, and growing edges. If we decide that our therapeutic relationship is a good match, we will progress toward a second session. In this session, we will gather information about your biography, we will work out a list of goals and schedule the first working session. From here, the progression of sessions will be unique to each client.
What skills can I expect to gain?
Of the many and various skills that you can look forward to developing you can include:
- Mindfulness / Bodyfulness practices
- Increased sexual intelligence
- Improved communication
- Ability to self-regulate emotions and stress
- Secure attachment with your body and with your partner
- Holistic arousal anatomy education in discussion format
- Self and body awareness